Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] reserving a tape drive

2001-03-15 10:06:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] reserving a tape drive
From: John_Wang AT enron DOT net John_Wang AT enron DOT net
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 09:06:13 -0600
Hello Joe

I went through this last year. Set the number of drives in your storage unit to
one less than the number of drives that you have.   That way, one drive will
always be available for restores (won't always be the same drive but then who
cares).

Regards,
John I Wang
Sr. Systems Engineer
Steverson Information Professionals

---
Enron Broadband Services
3 Allen Center 3AC872e
ph (713) 345-6863
pg pagejwang AT skytel DOT com

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          JSANGEMINO@ef|
|        |          tia.com      |
|        |                       |
|        |          03/14/01     |
|        |          07:32 PM     |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  |       To:     veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

  |       cc:     (bcc: John Wang/Contractor/Enron Communications)             |
  |       Subject:     [Veritas-bu] reserving a tape drive                     |

Hi,
           I'm in a situation tonight where I'm rebuilding a Unix server, and I
will need to restore some directories to it once done.  I have a 4 DLT drive
Sun L1000 StoreEdge unit with a 30 tape capacity robot. 3 of the drives are
now busy doing restores which will take another few hours, and in 30 minutes
the nightly round of backups will begin. I'm going like hell to try and have
my system ready for the restore before the nightly backups kick in and take
over my sole remaining free DLT drive.

The question is, how could I in the future ensure that I had a drive free
for just such an emergency repair?

(For those wondering, I beat the backups for the restore)

Cheers,
Joe

Joe Sangemino
NT/UNIX Systems Administrator