Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP Backup Methodologies

2001-02-20 14:41:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP Backup Methodologies
From: Dennis Dwyer dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 14:41:55 -0500
For you folks out there using NetApps equipment and backing it up via NetBackup
and NDMP, what methodologies are you using? I am new to NetApps and NDMP. I see
a lot of references to snapshots (weekly, daily and hourly) and I wonder how
this relates to being able to implement a methodology of weekly FULL and daily
CUMULATIVE DIFFERENTIAL type backups. I understand the philosophy behind the
snapshots is to be able to recover data quickly for the user, which is all well
and good if you're dealing with a situation where the user deleted the file.
But ... what if your building burns down or a big rock falls on it? Now you
have no snapshots. The data has to be somewhere else also ... right? If anyone
could point me to some good references on how to maintain the traditional type
backup schedules for a NetApp I'd appreciate it. I'd also be interested in
anything folks are doing that deviate from that and what rationale you used to
make the decision.

Regards,
Dennis Dwyer
Tampa Electric Company