Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Question on NDMP proxy

2001-02-20 10:29:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Question on NDMP proxy
From: Andrew Steingruebl steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 09:29:52 -0600
Dan Smith said:

>All,
>
>I have a question on this NDMP proxy.  I understand I
>can back up an Netapp NDMP filer to another Netapp
>filer directly connected to a library via NDMP.   What
>happens if I have only have one Netapp (not all of us
>are so lucky to have two) and it is not near the
>library.   Can I do NDMP proxy through a SUN Solaris
>machine via NDMP.   I know I can do this with NFS and
>Netbackup but can I do it with NDMP?

Not until someone writes the code to run NDMP on a Solaris machine.  If the
spec is open, maybe someone should take a crack at it? :)

But seriously.... no one has written the code to have the NDMP "receiver" live
on a Unix box rather than a NetApp.  I'd love for it to happen though....
would save me lots of trouble.

--
Andy Steingruebl              | e-mail: steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com

Unix Systems Admin/Programmer | phone:  (847) 935-4728
Unix/Network Security         | fax:    (847) 935-0142
Abbott Laboratories, PPDR&D   | post:   100 Abbott Park Road, D472 - AP9A