Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Importing/Exporting tapes: vmchange and vmupdate

2001-02-16 15:20:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Importing/Exporting tapes: vmchange and vmupdate
From: anthony.guzzi AT storability DOT com anthony.guzzi AT storability DOT com
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 15:20:27 -0500
Ahhh!   A question I had myself.   You're right, there don't appear to be
any  vm commands that tell you this so using the '*test' commands only to
query the library (and not move anything) is a sensible use  assuming you
keep in mind that while the '*test' commands are access in the robot,
NetBackup routines can't.  (Don't want to lock out the NB processes, do
we.)

As for determining when the cap becomes full,  keep in mind that you have
to issue the command for each tape that needs to be ejected. The 'vmchange'
command will return a status code of 221 when the CAP is full and it can't
move a tape to the cap.  Now don't everyone go running to your NetBackup
Troubleshooting Guide to look this status code up because this is not a NB
221, but a Media Manager 221.  And again we run into the lack of sufficient
documentation from Veritas --- Media Manager status codes are not properly
or completely documented (at least I haven't been able to find a list of
them I was able to for the NetBackup status codes).

As for what to do when you get a 221, that's up the person writing the
script; you're talking programming logic now.

-- Tony Guzzi
AssuredRestore engineering team
Storability, Inc.

  "David A. Chapa"
  <david AT datastaff DOT com>              To:

                             <anthony.guzzi AT storability DOT com>

                                     cc:
  02/16/2001 02:43 PM        <veritas-bu AT Eng.Auburn DOT EDU>

                                     Subject:        RE: [Veritas-bu]
                             Importing/Exporting tapes: vmchange and
                             vmupdate

What happens when you issue these commands and the mail cap becomes full
during the process and your script hasn't finished moving all of the tapes
?

Is there any way for the vm commands to determine how full the mail cap is
before you begin moving tapes to the cap?

You can determine these things with tldtest, I've not seen a way to do it
with the vm* commands.

I'm from the old school (v 1.6) so I could be wrong, maybe they have
changed.

David

David A. Chapa
Consulting Manager
DataStaff, Inc.
847 413 1144
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting