Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 'Staging' backups onto disk...

2001-02-14 22:18:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 'Staging' backups onto disk...
From: Joshua Fielden jfielden AT excitecorp DOT com
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 19:18:35 -0800
Coming from the AMANDA world at one (much smaller) point in my life, I miss
this feature, and asked about this a few months back. There are two options:

1) Write backups to a disk STU, then vault them to tape. (or use bpduplicate
and scripting)

2) Depending on how the file patterns are, you can stage them to disk, and back
them up from there. This has the added advantage of having 'near-line' restore
speeds for crucial data -- (l)users love that. This also costs a lot of
scratch. Our current setup is to use this for inbox.exite.com user mail, due to
the visibility of that product, as well as all of our production databases --
to the tune of $5mm or so in EMC and horsepower...  Depends on the criticality
of your data to your enterprise. In the case of user mail, we use SRDF, but the
database tablespaces are just scp'd in parallel because of their size. (with
the DB in hotbackup mode, etc..)

JF

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 02:07:11PM +1100, Duane Schultz spake unto the
multitudes: