Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Sun Gigabit Performance

2001-02-14 08:26:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Sun Gigabit Performance
From: Zufall, Ken KZufall AT officemax DOT com
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 08:26:13 -0500
Kim,

My own testing shows that the problem is the multiplexing.  Multiplexing is
best used for slow networks or backups that include a lot of little files.
When you multiplex across a fast network (we're using GigE as well), the
drives end up slowing down or stopping as the streams alternate to tape.
When we disabled multiplexing for testing purposes (don't have the hardware
resources to do it permanently yet), we went from roughly 4.5mb/sec to 8.5 -
9mb/sec.

Ken Zufall
Technical Analyst
Phone: 216.471.3613
Pager: 440.303.1656
Fax: 216.491.4051

"It's not the most intellectual job, but I do have to know all the letters."
Vanna White