Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Install of NDMP for NBU

2001-02-13 13:39:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Install of NDMP for NBU
From: Stephen Dvorak sdvorak AT veritas DOT com
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:39:07 -0800
On Windows NT/2000 NetBackup for NDMP server:
install_path\Volmgr\bin\set_ndmp_attr -auth filer_name root
Password: *******
Re-enter Password: *******
Make sure you enter the proper password for the root user on the filer.

Once this is set properly:
Go to Media and Device Manager
Select: Actions/New/Robot
This will allow you to setup the robot as an NDMP controlled robot.  You
will also provide the name of the filer in the 'NDMP host name' box.

Select: Actions/New/Drive
This allows you to setup the drives.  'Device host' should be the name of
the Windows NT/2000 NetBackup for NDMP server that you are using.  The
'Drive name' can be anything you want (barring special characters).   And
the 'Device Name' would be filer_name:device_file.  I.e. toaster:nrst0a

You will then need to create a Storage Unit and Backup Policy/Class.

Determining the robot information is a little tough, as NetApp does not
provide a utility for doing this.  You will need to know what SCSI ID your
robot has been assigned (usually through the interface of the library).  The
LUN will almost always be 0.  So the only difficult piece is determining the
controller.  This can be done using 'sysconfig -v' to determine how many
controllers you have and trying them (i.e. if you have 4 SCSI controllers,
you will try 0, 1, 2, 3 as the controller number)
        set_ndmp_attr -robot ndmp-server-host robot-device scsi-controller
scsi-id scsi-lun
Once you have set this attribute you will test the robot with the tldtest
(if it is a DLT library) utility.
It is much easier to get this information from the NetApp engineers.  They
should be able to tell you where your library is connected.

You can then verify communication with the filer using the following
command:
set_ndmp_attr -verify filer_name

Once all is working.  Begin a backup.

Steve Dvorak
Senior Systems Engineer
NOTE: Our address and phone numbers have changed!!!
VERITAS Software Corp.          Phone: (602) 474-4510
2575 E. Camelback Road, Ste 740 Fax:   (602) 474-4599
Phoenix, AZ  85016                      Pager: (888) 264-7325
mailto:sdvorak AT veritas DOT com               http://www.veritas.com
VERITAS Training is available in Phoenix!
http://www.veritas.com/us/services/education/