Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] OTM - Status code 11

2001-02-12 11:07:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] OTM - Status code 11
From: Young, Ken limelite AT ti DOT com
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:07:15 -0600
According to the Veritas KB link
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/180017.htm , you could also do the
following:

Symptom:

Cache file full conditions, within Open Transaction Manager (OTM), cause
exit status code 11 (system call failed).

Exact Error Message:

status 11: system call failed

Solution:

When there is a cache full condition within Open Transaction Manager,
backups may fail with an exit code of 11 (system call failed).  The cache
full condition is usually reached because the system is busy at the time of
the backup and files are changing.  There is another condition as well -
just normal file transversal.  As the backups proceed, the last access time
is updated on each file and this information ends up being cached.  Thus, if
the system has a lot of files, a lot of access time update information ends
up being cached which, depending on the size of the cache file, can end up
in a cache full condition.

If disabling the last access time will not impair the operation of any
applications that are running on this machine, doing so will stop it from
increasing the size of your cache file.

A value must be added to the registry in order to disable the last access
time update.

The key is:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem

and the value is:

NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate with a type of REG_DWORD and a value of 1.

A reboot is required of the system after adding this value.

As an example, a test machine was setup with 10,000 subfolders and each one
of those subfolders has 20 files.  Without this value, the amount of data
sent to the cache file was 260MB.  With this value added, the amount of data
sent to the cache file was 0MB.

Otherwise, increasing the cache size for OTM within the VERITAS registry
keys or from the Configuration Application from an NT Master server will
also help alleviate this condition.  This is documented within the "VERITAS
NetBackup for Windows NT Server System Administrator Guide" on page 502.

----
TechNote Summary:
TechNote Title: Cache file full conditions, within Open Transaction Manager
(OTM), cause exit status code 11 (system call failed).
TechNote ID: 180017
Last Updated: July 26 2000 01:12 PM
This information in this TechNote applies to:
Products: NetBackup (Windows Platforms)    3.2

Subject: Application - Configuration

Languages: English

Operating Systems: Windows NT    3.1 Serv, 3.1 Wkst, 3.5 Serv, 3.5 Wkst,
3.51 Serv, 3.51 Serv SP1, 3.51 Serv SP2, 3.51 Serv SP3, 3.51 Serv SP4, 3.51
Serv SP5, 3.51 Wkst, 3.51 Wkst SP1, 3.51 Wkst SP2, 3.51 Wkst SP3, 3.51 Wkst
SP4, 3.51 Wkst SP5, 4.0 Serv, 4.0 Serv SP1, 4.0 Serv SP2, 4.0 Serv SP3, 4.0
Serv SP4, 4.0 Serv SP5, 4.0 Wkst, 4.0 Wkst SP1, 4.0 Wkst SP2, 4.0 Wkst SP3,
4.0 Wkst SP4, 4.0 Wkst SP5
----

Regards,
Ken Young