Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] BPGP: dangerous command - deleted contents of /var

2001-02-09 18:02:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] BPGP: dangerous command - deleted contents of /var
From: Jim VandeVegt vandevegt AT yahoo DOT com
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 15:02:52 -0800 (PST)
>   We recently tried this command and it deleted all of the contents
> of the
> /var directory on the master server we ran it on.  It gave an error
> message
> along the lines of " .... cant delete //var - device busy" (/var on
> the
> system is a separate file system; and, yes, there were two [2] /'s
> in the
> path).  Care needs to be taken with working with the command.
>
>   -- Tony Guzzi

Can you give the syntax that caused /var to deleted on the master
server? I'd actually like to see a full usage compliment for this
utility, however dangerous. I use it to push the exclude file to new
clients as a way to verify the client installation was successful.

The other day a co-worker deleted the /bin /symbolic link on his Sun.
I tried a couple variants to get bpgp to just recreate the symbolic
link, but ended up having to actually restore it off tape because I
ran out of options after 'bpgp to server' and couldn't get online help.

=====
Jim VandeVegt
vandevegt AT yahoo DOT com vandevegt AT avaya DOT com
http://members.xoom.com/vandevegt