Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] EMC Unit - NT Changing Time - Incrementals = full

2001-01-31 12:16:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] EMC Unit - NT Changing Time - Incrementals = full
From: David A. Chapa david AT datastaff DOT com
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:16:29 -0800 (PST)
So the TimeFinder piece is or isn't being used in this
configuration?

After the reboot, the NT machine is MOUNTING the BCV to
be backed up?

David Chapa

David A. Chapa
Consulting Manager
DataStaff, Inc.
847 413 1144

Quoting William Hawkins <william.hawkins AT veritas DOT com>:

> Hello -
>
>       I am going to a client site next week that is
having a problem with
> incrementals.  Scenario follows setup.
>
>       Unisys NT 4.0 SP6, 4x700MHz, 2GB Memory, 2x18GB
disk  (MASTER/MEDIA-
> EVERYTHING direct connected)
>       (2) Adaptec 3944 Dual Channel Scsi Card
>       (1) Adaptec 2944 Robot Control
>       STK L700 v2.00.00
>       (4) 9840 drives v1.25.116
>       (1)   7TB EMC ARRAY   -  3 1/2 TB in use.
>
>       Client breaks mirror on EMC array and REBOOTS
NT Master/Media server
> to create BCV Local Drive Meta VOlume 500GB G:\.
>
>       Client then kicks manual incremental backup of
data.  This happens
> each day until each metavolume is backed up.
>
>       The data is NOT accessed in ANY OTHER WAY.   It
is not a database.
> It is literally 10 million image files of tax return
forms that are not in
> database, not on a website, not anything.  They are
static and only
> accessed
> for backup.   New files get added, though.  1TB /year.
>
>       When the backup occurs, some kind of change
must happen to one of
> the times on the files - a bit must change - because
an incremental is
> ALWAYS a FULL backup.   Daily, each metavolume may
have 1MB to 10GB added -
> but no changes to existing files or file
directories.  Just new files and
> directories.
>
>       Any ideas as to how to fix the time problem so
that incrementals are