Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Storage migrator, DLT7000, and media lifetime

2001-01-26 14:57:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Storage migrator, DLT7000, and media lifetime
From: Andrew Steingruebl steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:57:48 -0600
I've been looking around for a long time for a product that would fulfill my
scientific data archiving needs. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is
a product that does both file/metadata management AND media management in any
sort of intelligent fashion.

As such, I'm probably going to use one of the packages out there that handles
files/metadata well, and simply have it store things to a system that has HSM
on it.

The question then is:

1. What are people experiencing for lifetimes on their DLT7000 media?  If I
know what to expect, I can either not guarantee things longer than that, or I
can manually "refresh" my dates by duplicating and erasing previous copies.

2. Am I missing something? Does anyone know of a better package for doing
archiving?  I need to have automated, user-interactive, and scheduled
archiving of files from both NT and Unix. I need to collect metadata about the
files (data from inside the file: Experiment number, compound, etc.) I want to
store the data in an Oracle database so that I can do metadata searches for
files, and then somehow interact with my media management system to retrieve
the files.  I need to be able to specify retention levels for files, etc.

It appears that NB + Storage Migrator could do some of this, but I'd be left
to write the whole front end myself.  I'd rather not do this, especially since
the software is regulated by the FDA in a certain sense.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.

--
Andy Steingruebl              | e-mail: steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com

Unix Systems Admin/Programmer | phone:  (847) 935-4728
Unix/Network Security         | fax:    (847) 935-0142
Abbott Laboratories, PPDR&D   | post:   100 Abbott Park Road, D472 - AP9A