Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media Type - How to Change

2001-01-24 14:36:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media Type - How to Change
From: Warren.Landrum AT Microchip DOT com Warren.Landrum AT Microchip DOT com
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:36:12 -0700
--=_alternative 006BAE80072569DE_=

Hi,

I'm a new Veritas administrator who is having some problems that Veritas
Tech support could not provide me an answer with. Here's my situation.

I've got an NT Master/Media server that is controlling 2 jukeboxs. The one
jukebox (JB1), 2 DLT 8000 drives, is directly attached to master server.
The other jukebox (JB2), 2 DLT 4000 drives,  is directly attached to a
Network Appliance Filer.

When the consultant from Veritas came out and worked with me, he suggested
we make the media types of the two jukeboxes different, so that when we
pulled up the list of all Volumes, we could easily tell which jukebox a
tape should go in. For JB1, we used DLT - for JB2, we used DLT2. He
allocated some tapes that were in JB2 as DLT2 and everything was fine.

But here's the problem. I now need to put MORE tapes as Media Type DLT2 so
that I can put them in the scratch pool and the various classes that use
JB2 can grab them as I need them. In talking to Veritas Tech Support, the
guy said that if the Drive Type is DLT2 (which it is on JB2) and I put new
bar-code labled tapes in there and inventory them, it should pick them up
as DLT2. I did this and it did not happen.

So, bottom line, if I can figure out how to change the Media Type from DLT
to DLT2, I'll be all set.

Anybody have an answer?

Thanks in advance - I Hope!

Warren G. Landrum, Jr.
Operations Supervisor
NT/VMS Systems Administrator
Microchip Technology
w: 480-792-7746
--=_alternative 006BAE80072569DE_=

having some problems that Veritas Tech support could not provide me an answer
with. Here's my situation.</font>
controlling 2 jukeboxs. The one jukebox (JB1), 2 DLT 8000 drives, is directly
attached to master server. The other jukebox (JB2), 2 DLT 4000 drives, &nbsp;is
directly attached to a Network Appliance Filer.</font>
and worked with me, he suggested we make the media types of the two jukeboxes
different, so that when we pulled up the list of all Volumes, we could easily
tell which jukebox a tape should go in. For JB1, we used DLT - for JB2, we used
DLT2. He allocated some tapes that were in JB2 as DLT2 and everything was
fine.</font>
MORE tapes as Media Type DLT2 so that I can put them in the scratch pool and
the various classes that use JB2 can grab them as I need them. In talking to
Veritas Tech Support, the guy said that if the Drive Type is DLT2 (which it is
on JB2) and I put new bar-code labled tapes in there and inventory them, it
should pick them up as DLT2. I did this and it did not happen.</font>
change the Media Type from DLT to DLT2, I'll be all set.</font>
Operations Supervisor<br>
NT/VMS Systems Administrator<br>
Microchip Technology<br>
w: 480-792-7746</font>