Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Sharing library between NT and UNIX media servers

2001-01-17 10:10:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Sharing library between NT and UNIX media servers
From: Pearson, Kim (STP) kim.pearson AT guidant DOT com
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 09:10:58 -0600
Are there any issues we need to be aware of when sharing a Storage Tek 9740
with an NT media server?

We are currently using a Sun E450 as the master/media server. We have a
Network Appliance attached to two of the DLT drives on the 9740, using NDMP
for backups (BIG MISTAKE!!!). We would like to move the NetApp backups to an
NT media server, and LOSE NDMP forever! The NT media server would then mount
NetApp shares over the network, and backup the NT media server drives as if
they are local drives. Of course, this means network traffic, but never mind
that. Anything is better than NDMP. Bottom line - we need to move the two
DLT drives off of the NAS, and put them on an NT device. Any control issues?
Sharing library problems? Other info - NBU 3.2, NT 4.0, Solaris 2.6...

Any and all comments welcome and appreciated!!

Kim