Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Status 25 on restores

2001-01-12 16:02:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Status 25 on restores
From: John_Wang AT enron DOT net John_Wang AT enron DOT net
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:02:14 -0600
Hello Everyone

I'm having trouble restoring from my second storage unit which is a Netbackup
3.2GA media server running on Solaris and the robotics is an ADIC Scalar 1000
with Sony AIT2 drives.   The volume manager is on the media server for the first
storage unit so it is not local to this media server, the master server is also
a separate server hosting the Netbackup Catalog.   Essentially when a restore is
kicked off, it just sits there and the device manager doesn't show any tapes
being mounted.   Eventually after about an half hour, it returns with a status
25.

I've been gleaning the logs a fair bit now and the only bit that looks pertinent
is the following bptm log from the media server with the storage unit in
question.   These messages happen just as the restore is kicked off.

   14:55:25 [16396] <2> bptm: INITIATING: -pid 16394 -mpx_restore -S
   barnes.enron.net -mud 180
   14:55:25 [16396] <2> send_brm_msg: PID of bpxm = 16396
   14:55:25 [16396] <2> process_mpx_protocol: wait for initial START RESTORE
   message from bpbrm
   14:55:28 [16396] <16> catch_signal: media manager terminated by parent
   process
   14:55:28 [16396] <2> send_brm_msg: ERROR 82
   14:55:28 [16396] <2> catch_signal: EXITING with status 82

I've already gone for a complete shutdown of all daemons via the K77netbackup
script on all three servers and restarted the daemons with the S77netbackup
scripts after ensuring that none of the processes were still running with ps.
Backups to the storage unit seem to work just fine, just can't seem to get a
tape mounted for a restore.

Any ideas?

Regards,
John I Wang