Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Strange Happenings During Restore ...

2001-01-02 15:11:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Strange Happenings During Restore ...
From: Dennis Dwyer dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 15:11:50 -0500
I just completed a restore request for a user and it didn't quite work out the
way I planned. Someone please tell me what I missed:

Background:

Master Server: Sun E450 with attached L11000 library (no media servers) running
NBU 3.2 (latest patch level I believe)

Client: NT 4.0 (service pack 6) with NBU 3.2 client installed

User requested several files spread over several directories to be restored to
an alternate directory. The alternate directory was created today especially to
receive these restored files.

1). I selected each file requested within each directory

2). Selected Restore from the menu bar.

3). Chose Alternate Path and entered the correct path name.

4). Chose Restore Selected Files and Directories

5). Files listed in xbp_confirm window were correct

I did select overwrite existing files knowing there were no files in the target
directory to overwrite. The restore job ran and noticeably missing was the line
in the log that indicated the file was being restored to a new name/location.
Only one file in the list of 23 was actually written to the alternate target
directory (the message indicating new name/location was written for this file)
but all other files overlaid their original file. Fortunately this was not too
devastating but it was rather embarrassing to have to explain to the user why
he couldn't find his files in the new directory and why his original files had
been overlaid even though I didn't request it. With the restore of a few other
files to the original directory (intentionally this time) I was able to synch
up the application with minimal impact, so far, on the user.

Major question at hand: What the heck happened? Is this the way that NBU is
supposed to work or am I missing a key piece of the puzzle? I did try a restore
of two files from a single directory to the new target directory and it worked
fine. A subsequent test of a restore of four files from two different
directories yielded the same results as the restore that got me here in the
first place.

Any information to shed a light on this would be greatly appreciated. If this
is the way the product works, then so be it. As long as I know that's how it's
supposed to work.

Regards,
Dennis

Dennis F. Dwyer