Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Changing exp dates via command line

2000-12-21 12:13:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Changing exp dates via command line
From: mike.marcell AT cntcorp DOT com mike.marcell AT cntcorp DOT com
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:13:11 -0700
Lee,

Sorry to disagree with you, or for not being more clear initially, but the
physcial media (tape) expiration date is exactly what I'm referring to.

We have tapes that are sent offsite each week. They have a 1 month (image)
retention, which is fine and not an issue here.  What happened is that
whenever these tapes were initialized, someone marked the physical media
(tape) expiration date to expire on 12/8/2000 or close to it.  So in a
nutshell, they ran the backups, and it said "Hey, I don't have any tapes to
use, because the ones that I have are all 'expired".  The batch of tapes
can come back anywhere from 1 to 2 months after being sent out. They've
only been used about 9 times, and are no where near the point that they
(physical media) should be considered unusable.

So what I was trying to do, is to mark the physical expiration date to
"Never", as that is what most of the tapes that we have (2000+) are set to.
There are a few hundred tapes in this batch that I'm referring to, and I'd
prefer to do this via the command line instead of the gui (mediaMgr ->Media
ID -> change ->Expire=Never)

I realize that I could pick a date far into the future, that would probably
not be an issue, but since "Never" is valid option from within the GUI, I'd
prefer to do the right thing, and mark them as the rest of the tapes are,
rather than trying to fool netbackup.  I read the man pages on vmchange and
seen nothing on the Never option. I'll try digging through the Media
Manager book as well.

Sorry for not clarifying this in my first note.

Thanks,

-Mike

Mike,

I'm sorry to say you are not doing the right thing at all.
You setting the date when the physical media (tape) is
considered expired and therefore no longer usable.
What I believe you are asking for is change expiration date of the
images on those tapes.

For this you would use the "bpexpdate"
command.  Also note that once images on a tape have expired
you cannot extend them since the corresponding data in the
NB catalog has already been removed.  You will need to do an
"import" of these tapes.  Look at the man page for bpexpdate
or try running "bpexpdate -help" or look in the admin guide
on page 329, 445 (NB 3.2)  As far as setting the expiration
date to NEVER, this is done by simply using a date far out
in the future.  When you use the "infinite" retention level
in NB it sets the expiration date for those images to
01/18/2038-22:14:07 which is the larges possible unixt-time
number (or close to it)  Hope this helps