Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Keeping jobs in the queue from becoming active

2000-12-19 13:43:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Keeping jobs in the queue from becoming active
From: Dennis Dwyer dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:43:36 -0500
What happens to backup jobs that may be running when you terminate the request
daemon? I have a situation coming up where at a certain point I may not want
any new jobs to start but I want those that are running to finish. I suspect
that I should be able to use this technique as well but I thought I'd check.

Regards,

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

>>> Miriam Ben-Haim <miriam AT techunix.technion.ac DOT il> 12/19/00 02:18AM >>>

Hi,

I am sorry about the delay - I don't always find the time to read the
mails of this list.

The way I delt with this same issue was by stopping the bprd daemon - I
do it via the GUI (Terminate Request Daemon) and restarting it when I'm
done with whatever maintenance I did.

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000 John_Wang AT enron DOT net wrote:

>Hello
>
>I didn't get any replies last time I asked this so I thought I might rephrase
>it.   I'd like to be able to cause jobs to not become active but still be
>queued.   The idea being that I can put a hold while I do some maintenance or
>wait for whatever is still active to finish so that I can then do some
>maintenance and still have everything in the queue ready to run when I turn it
>back over to production.
>
>So far, the only thing I can think of is to deactivate all the pertinent
>classes
>and reactivate them after I'm done with maintenance but I don't know if that
>will keep user directed backups in the queue.
>
>This is important because we've already had situations where during
>maintenance,
>people have took it upon themselves to rearrange the tapes in the library for
>esthetics sake.   Although the tape library does rescan the barcodes when the
>door is closed, the Netbackup media database is not automatically synchronized
>with the tape library's own database.   If new tapes have been added in slots
>where Netbackup thinks another tape should be, the new tape will get the wrong
>label and some images intended for another tape before the databases are
>synchronized resulting in a frozen tape after the next synchronization.
>Although this tends to happen when I'm out of town, I'd like to be able to
>insist on a procedure that prevents jobs from being active till the databases
>are synchronized.
>
>Regards,
>John I Wang
>Sr. Systems Engineer
>Steverson Information Professionals
>
>---
>Enron Broadband Services
>Enron Building 1472c
>ph (713) 345-4291
>fax (713) 646-8063

        Miriam

 Miriam Ben-Haim                 E-mail: miriam AT technion.ac DOT il
 Unix Systems                    Phone : +972-4-8292177
 Taub Computer Center            Fax   : +972-4-8236212
 Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa 32000, ISRAEL