Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NUMBER_ & SIZE_DATA BUFFERS

2000-12-18 13:12:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NUMBER_ & SIZE_DATA BUFFERS
From: Jonathan Geibel Jonathan.Geibel AT disney DOT com
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 10:12:05 -0800
Jim,

The 174 errors are due to your tape drives being set to fixed-length
writes instead of variable-length writes..

basically, when you fill up a tape and there is only 32k or so of space
left on the tape Netbackup will try to write it's last 1MB buffer to that
space.  With variable-length writing set to on, netbackup will cut that
last write short and only write out a 32k chunk of data.  With
fixed-length writing it always tried to dump the entire 1MB buffer that
you have set which ends up failing with the 174 error.

You can set your drives to variable-length writes on a Sun by modifying
the /kernel/drv/st.conf file (under solaris 2.6 at least)..

do a "man st" to figure out which bit to set in that file for
variable-length writes..

hope that helps,

Jon

Walt Disney Feature Animation      The Secret Lab
Senior Systems Engineer              818.526.3051