Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Oracle Databases (SAP) and NetBackup

2000-12-11 01:26:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Oracle Databases (SAP) and NetBackup
From: Rob Worman rob AT colltech DOT com
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 23:26:12 -0700
At 7:51 AM -0500 12/10/00, Dennis Dwyer wrote:
>So let me see if I got this straight.
>
>I have a couple of entries in crontab that look like this:
>
>30 4 * * 0 /usr/bin/su - sbxadm -c stopsap
>30 7 * * 0 /usr/bin/su - sbxadm -c startsap
>
>If I remove them and modify the bpstart script to contain
>
>/usr/bin/su - sbxadm -c "stopsap"
>
>and modify the bpend script to contain
>
>/usr/bin/su - sbxadm -c "startsap"
>
>I am effectively doing the same thing only now I'm not at the mercy of the
>times set out by crontab. This would allow me to shut down my SAP Oracle
>databases when the backup job actually starts and restart them when it ends?

yep, you got it.
a couple of caveats:

-the above solution will be complicated if your SAP backup class uses multiple
streams.  each stream will run the bpstart script, each stream will run the
bpend script...  the only VRTS-supported workaround for this is "don't use
multistreaming in this unsupported configuration" :).  But believe you me, they
are aware of this issue!  I believe Curtis has posted his workaround for this
problem, basically a system that utilizes touch files on the client to take
action only for the class's first stream to start and the last stream to finish.

-The last time I checked, NetBackup doesn't do any checking of the exit status
of the bpend_notify script.  So it's a good idea to include lots of error
checking in your bpend script.  So that the right person gets paged ASAP if SAP
doesn't come back up.

>I can't believe it's as simple as that. I guess I was operating under a
>misconception that you couldn't su within a script on a Solaris box. It always
>pays to get a second opinion doesn't it? Do I need the "" around the script
>name, as indicated in a previous e-mail, or was that just for effect?

Be safe, put it in quotes.  (you might have trouble passing a multi-argument
command without them)