Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Hostname resolution

2000-12-08 11:01:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Hostname resolution
From: David A. Chapa david AT datastaff DOT com
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 10:01:44 -0600
Here's the IBM answer, it depends.

:D  just kidding you ibm'ers out there...

But in reality it does depend on your network.  When I was posed this
question as a consultant for OV to engineering the answer was, so long as
your network resolves the name the simple hostname will suffice.

The way to check  this out is use bpclntcmd from the
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin directory.  From the client

bpclntcmd -self

will let you know how the network is resolving that client's name.

I think there is -hn for hostname (from the client give it the master
server's name).

I have used this in some cases to troubleshoot a DNS problem.

Good Luck,
David