Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] tape eject after backup - a script that might wo rk for you too....

2000-11-29 09:31:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] tape eject after backup - a script that might wo rk for you too....
From: Donaldson, Grant DONALDG AT tc.gc DOT ca
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 09:31:24 -0500
Greetings!

        This e-mail is for those of you who are tired of ejecting one tape
at a time out of your tape libraries with the Veritas Media Manager GUI
(v3.2)interface and don't have your own script. We made this script because
we have to do a lot of ejecting of active backup tapes(copy 1) out of our
tape library in order to make room for the next weekend's full backups and
duplication run.  If this doesn't apply to you, please ignore the
following......

        An e-mail from David A. Chappa (November 14, 2000 9:00AM) on how to
utilize the vmchange command to eject tapes out of the silo via the
undocumented "-e" parameter (thank you David!) inspired me to have the
following script put together. It allows you to eject media that are in the
silo to the CAP/outport (we are using a STK 9740 Tape Library) that fall
within the date and time range that you specify.  Since we only have a 14
slot CAP, it stops after the 14th eject and prompts you to clear the CAP and
press a key to continue with the next 14, and so on.

        Please note the following regarding the script:

- It is intended to be used after you have already ejected your duplicate
tapes out of the silo for the date range that you are specifying. This is
because it doesn't differentiate between tape pools and you may
inadvertently eject your duplicate tapes that you normally use a product
such as Veritas' BpVault to autoeject.  I couldn't figure out how to specify
what pool of tapes to use, so if anyone has any suggestions please let me
know.

-It assumes that a Volume Group value of "00_000_TLD" is assigned to those
media that are currently located in the silo.

Grant

#!/bin/sh

MEDIAINSILO="/tmp/mediainsilo"
NBDUPLICATES="/tmp/nbduplicates"
#First read in the required parameters:

VALIDDATES=true
while  $VALIDDATES
do
echo "Please enter the start date in the form mm/dd/yy"
read STARTDATE
echo "\nPlease enter the start time in the form hh:mm:ss"
read STARTTIME
echo "\nPlease enter the end date in the form mm/dd/yy"
read ENDDATE
echo "\nPlease enter the end time in the form hh:mm:ss"
read ENDTIME
if [ "{STARTDATE:=NULL}" = "NULL" -o "{STARTTIME:=NULL}" = "NULL" -o
"{ENDDATE:=NULL}" = "NULL"  -o "{ENDTIME:=NULL}" = "NULL" ]
then
echo "Illegal parameter(s) entered"
else
VALIDDATES=false
echo "You want start date/time = $STARTDATE $STARTTIME and end date/time =
$ENDDATE $ENDTIME"
echo "Is this correct (y/n)"
read yn
if [ "{yn:=NULL}" = "NULL" -o "$yn" = "y" -o "$yn" = "Y" ]
then
VALIDDATES=false
else
VALIDDATES=true
fi
fi
done

#Get a list of media to be ejected
DESIREDMEDIA=`/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimagelist -media -idonly
-d $STARTDATE $STARTTIME  -e $ENDDATE $ENDTIME | sort`

if [ "{DESIREDMEDIA:=NULL}" = "NULL" ]
then
echo "No media to be ejected that meet the criteria"
exit 9
fi

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery -v 00_000_TLD -b | grep TLD | awk '{ print $1
}' | sort > $MEDIAINSILO

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery -b -pn NB_Duplicates | grep TLD | awk '{ print
$1 }' | sort > $NBDUPLICATES

comm -3 $MEDIAINSILO $NBDUPLICATES > $MEDIAINSILO.1
mv $MEDIAINSILO.1 $MEDIAINSILO
for MEDIA in $DESIREDMEDIA
do
# first search
TEST=`grep -c $MEDIA $MEDIAINSILO`

if [ "$TEST" = "0" ]
then
        # desired media is not in the silo
        echo "$MEDIA - Desired Media is not in silo"
else
#       echo $MEDIA
        /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmchange -vh tcstor1 -res -m $MEDIA -mt HCART
-rt none -rc1 0 -e
        RETCODE=$?
        if [ "$RETCODE" = "221" ]
        then
                # CAPS are full request user intervention
                echo "ATTENTION: CAPS are full - please empty and press
[ENTER] to continue"
                read dummy
                /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmchange -vh tcstor1 -res -m $MEDIA
-mt HCART -rt none -rc1 0 -e
        fi
fi
done

echo "All done"

        A portion of David's e-mail:

        "Here what I want to do is to eject the tape out