Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] tape eject after backup

2000-11-14 09:00:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] tape eject after backup
From: David A. Chapa david AT datastaff DOT com
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 08:00:36 -0600
!>>See comments inline.

<<!David
-----Original Message-----
From: veritas-bu-admin AT Eng.Auburn DOT EDU
[mailto:veritas-bu-admin AT Eng.Auburn DOT EDU]On Behalf Of shyam hazari
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2000 12:51 AM
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

Admins,
        This is my first mail to the list and I hope you won't disappoint
me.
I have couple of questions .

1)To make my life easier, I am loading the tapes into the library as per the
barcodes i.e tape1 goes to slot1, tape2 to slot2. Am I doing something wrong
?

!>>Nothing wrong with matching up the barcode to the slot,
!>>but realize that it is not a requirement of the software.
!>>The software will keep track of what tapes reside in your
!>>library and what tapes do not.  Therefore, the orientation
!>>of the tapes in the library isn't that important.

2)I am keeping a retension period of one week and I have added eight tapes
for
each volume pool(as some of my backups goes to one tape). Is this the
correct
procedure ?

!>>Be very careful with how many volume pools you create/use.
!>>The best rule here is to keep it as simple as possible,
!>>unless you have a compelling reason to add complexity, don't.
!>>Again, NetBackup will manage the proper placement of the images
!>>to tape.  By default, NetBackup will not mix retention levels
!>>(co-location), so therefore it doesn't have to go through a
!>>time intensive process of reclamation.  As an example I have
!>>a class that uses the NetBackup pool, the three schedules
!>>in the class Daily, Weekly and Monthly, all have different
!>>retention levels, 1 week, 3 months, 1 year.  When NetBackup
!>>submits a job with the Daily Schedule, it will write the backup
!>>to a tape that has like retention levels, if one isn't available
!>>it will use an available tape.  But by default it will NEVER mix
!>>my retentions.

3)Before I start the backup , I had to do some preprocessing. So most of the
backups are done through Cron.

!>>You may want to check out the bpstart_notify and
!>>bpend_notify scripts they facilitate pre and post
!>>processing on a client.

Here what I want to do is to eject the tape out
of the tape drive to the outport. How do I achieve this ?

!>>/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmchange -vh $MASTER -res -m $MEDIAID \
!>>    -mt $DENSITY -rt none -rc1 0 -rc2 0 [ -v $volume_group ] -e

For some backups I
had created two streams. Is that possible to eject two tapes to the outport
once the backup is finished?

!>>Same command as above

4)For loading the tapes back into the library, I am using the GUI. I know
that
this can be done through scripts. Can I able to control the tapes like which
tape should go to which slot i.e tape to slot1 etc.. ?

!>>Again use a variant of the command above.

I appreciate y'r help.

I will summarize

Shyam Hazari,
Qwest Communications,