Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] CLIENT_NAME (was Re: Question on cluster backup)

2000-11-10 09:54:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] CLIENT_NAME (was Re: Question on cluster backup)
From: David A. Chapa david AT datastaff DOT com
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 08:54:23 -0600
Rob:

have you tested this?

-----Original Message-----
From: veritas-bu-admin AT Eng.Auburn DOT EDU
[mailto:veritas-bu-admin AT Eng.Auburn DOT EDU]On Behalf Of Rob Worman
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 5:19 PM
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

At 3:59 PM -0500 11/8/00, Jonathan Meyer wrote:
>As far as I can tell, netbackup does not care what client name is
>listed in the bp.conf on the clients.  From what I have seen, things
>work fine if the client name on the master does not match the client's
>bp.conf.  The master stores the images under the name it is using to
>run the backup.
>
>I would be interested to hear more details about how the client name
>in bp.conf is used or whether there is a "correct" setting for it in
>configurations like the one described.

I was just discussing this very question with someone today.  It is my
understanding (based on casual observation and little more) that the only
time the NBU master cares about the CLIENT_NAME entry in a clients bp.conf
is in the case of user-directed operations. (backups or restores that are
initiated via bp or xbp on the client machine)  Otherwise, I would tend to
agree, it would seem that you can have anything you darn well please for
that CLIENT_NAME setting.

I would love to see a more authoritative reply on this topic...

TiA
rob