Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Pre-label volumes

2000-10-30 10:12:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Pre-label volumes
From: Jason Ahrens ahrensj AT psi DOT ca
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:12:23 -0500 (EST)
Hello.

This sounds like it should be a simple enough thing to do, but so far I've
run into a brick wall.

I would like to pre-label volumes (tapes) in Veritas NB. I am using 3.2 on
Solaris.

In the Media Manager, I created new volumes with the desired names,
expecting that when NetBackup ran the next scheduled backup it would use
the volumes given as they wern't assigned to a tape yet. I was wrong. When
the backup fired, it created a new volume A00000 and used it.

What I would like to do is created an inteligent naming scheme for the
volumes representing when the backup was done. As the backups are
scheduled, and the operator (tape change person) is not the administrator
(plan and implement schedules) it would beconvineint to have NB do it
semi-automatically (ie: have the administrator pre-label the volumes and
give them to the operator).

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jason
PSINet Ltd.