Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Towers of Hanoi

2000-10-25 16:39:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Towers of Hanoi
From: John_Wang AT enron DOT net John_Wang AT enron DOT net
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 15:39:38 -0500
Hello

There seems to be some confusion.   I was asking how to emulate such behaviour
with Netbackup, not for the actual sequence or for a description of the
algorithm.   The goal being to achieve some redundancy by having overlapping
incrementals so that tape mirroring or duplication would not be needed to ensure
reasonable protection against failed media.

Besides most variations of the sequence achieve alternating overlap ratios (ie.:
1-2-1-2 or 1-2-1-3) whereas if one was to just use a 9 level backup utility like
that in Unix, one could easily fake the dumpdates file to achieve a constant
overlap ratio of 2-2-2...  But that's not the point, I don't want to hand roll a
backup scheme using Unix commands, I want to manipulate Netbackup to achieve the
same goals.

Regards,
John I Wang
Sr. Systems Engineer