Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Veritas Netbackup sg problem

2000-10-19 01:31:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Veritas Netbackup sg problem
From: Joshua Fielden jfielden AT excitecorp DOT com
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 22:31:46 -0700
On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 12:52:37PM +0800, Micheal.Choi AT chase DOT com filled
up my inbox with:
> The main differences between the master and the slave servers is that:
> 1)   The slave server is currently using Networker, with the lus driver
> loaded.
> We will
>      decommission it after the Netbackup is functional.
> 2)   The slave server is also attached to a Sun A1000, in which both lus and
> sg
>      created huge amount of devices to it.
> 3)   The slave servers is also attached to another small DLT library with 2
> SCSI
> DLTs
>      These two drives, however, function without any problem, with the sg
> drivers
>      attached normally.
>
> When we ask Veritas, they blamed the problem on the firmware of JNI card
> (2.4.1)
> and
> request us to downgrade it to 2.3. We only read from the documents that it is
> related to
> Sun E10K. We also consulted EMC and EMC, however, mentioned they do not have
> any
> experience with that firmware level at all.

FWIW, we have a 4500 that had 6TB of emc presented as ~60 devices, the Lus
driver still installed (5.5.1 of Legato, no patches), 2.4.1 of JNI, and worked.
The differences are an ADIC Scalar 1k jukebox (well, 2 on the fabric), and the
fact that this machine controlled it's own robot. Sol 2.6, kernel -21, (now
-23) JNI driver unknown at the moment. Also, the sg driver only has the tapes
the machine can see in /dev/sg. As Veritas Services set up the sg driver with
my tech lead, and not with myself, I cannot speak on any setup-time wizardry
that happened.

--
"Any man page that includes the words "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. BEWARE OF DOG.
SLIPPERY WHEN WET" means trouble" - Michael Lucas