Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Preemptive scheduling

2000-10-17 14:42:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Preemptive scheduling
From: Jonathan Meyer jmeyer AT ptc DOT com
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:42:34 -0400
Regarding your question about pre-empting incremental backups if the
full schedule runs long.  I think "the right thing" to do is less
clear than one might think.

You might have data which you want protected on tape every 12 hours.
The incrementals might not take very long, but the fulls might take
more than 24 hours.  In this situation you would want one or more
incrs to take place during the full backup.  Performance of both
backups would be effected, but you would get a save to tape every 12
hours.  It is my understanding that the netbackup scheduler was
designed to handle the above scenario.

I don't mean to sound like an apologist for veritas, and I have never
wanted the functionality described, but I don't think the scheduler
behavior is as clearly "wrong" as it might seem at first.

Jonathan Meyer
(781)398-6594
UNIX Systems Administrator
Paramtric Technology Corporation