Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Question about MUST_USE_LOCAL_DRIVE and media servers

2000-10-17 12:19:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Question about MUST_USE_LOCAL_DRIVE and media servers
From: Andrew Steingruebl steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 11:19:56 -0500
I think I've discovered a very obvious place for enhancement in NB, but I'm
not positive.

Right now, the way SSO works, I need to create a storage unit for each machine
that wants to participate.  However, since I generally don't want these
machines to act as servers to clients, I have to mark their storage unit "On
Demand Only".  In order to use this storage unit then, I need to create a new
class that specifically calls for this storage unit.

It appears to me that the logic for selecting tape robots could be easily
modified so that MUST_USE_LOCAL_DRIVE "overrides" the on-demand-only of a
storage unit, such that hosts which have their own storage unit, will use it
without having to name it, if MUST_USE_LOCAL_DRIVE is set.

Otherwise, we get into a real mess of having to create a lot of classes for
each server that wants to use SSO, and I'm probably going to have 30-40 of
them eventually.

Comments?

--
Andy Steingruebl              | e-mail: steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com

Unix Systems Admin/Programmer | phone:  (847) 935-4728
Unix/Network Security         | fax:    (847) 935-0142
Abbott Laboratories, PPDR&D   | post:   100 Abbott Park Road, D472 - AP9A