Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bpstart hangs on vxmake - help!

2000-10-16 18:55:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bpstart hangs on vxmake - help!
From: Chandra Kalle ckalle AT ns.naren DOT com
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:55:07 -0700 (PDT)
Master Server: E250 Solaris 7
Slave Server: E4500 Solaris 7

Client with problem is the slave server
itself.

The client (E4500) is running Veritas VM 3.0.2 and has a mirrored volume
(3 plexes) and stores ClearCase database on it. My goal is to backup the
database in cold state. So, I created
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpstart_notify on the client, and put the
following lines in it:

.
.
/usr/sbin/vxplex -g datadg dis vol01-03 # break one mirror
/usr/sbin/vxmake -g datadg -U fsgen vol tempvol plex=vol01-03 # create tmp
volume
/usr/sbin/vxvol -g datadg start tempvol # start tmp volume
mount -r /dev/vx/dsk/datadg/tempvol /tempmount
.
.

I also added BPSTART_TIMEOUT = 36000 and BPEND_TIMEOUT = 36000
on both the master and slave servers. My bpend_script just
unmounts the tempvol, stops it, disassociates vol01-03
and re-attaches it to vol01.

PROBLEM:
========

When the backup starts, bpbkar on the client starts
bpstart_notify. bpstart_notify executes vxplex
succesfully, then starts vxmake. Now this vxmake starts
ANOTHER vxmake, and the second vxmake starts
/usr/lib/vxvm/type/fsgen/vxmake. This process hangs
waiting on a read operation to complete.

After bpstart_notify starts on the client, ps -aef | grep
vxmake gives the following:

# ps -aef | grep vxmake
    root  4090  4089  0 15:25:56 ?        0:00
/usr/lib/vxvm/type/fsgen/vxmake
    root  4089  4088  0 15:25:56 ?        0:00 /usr/sbin/vxmake -g datadg
-U fsgen vol tempvol plex=vol01-03
    root  4088  4073  0 15:25:55 ?        0:00 /usr/sbin/vxmake -g datadg
-U fsgen vol tempvol plex=vol01-03
#

These processes just sit there, until I kill them. So eventually
bpstart_notify fails, and my backup won'nt run.

FURTHER:
========

I run vxmake manually and it runs just fine! The
problem looks like only when bpstart runs vxmake.

Also, bpend_notify runs just fine. All vx commands
in bpend_notify execute succesfully.

I have latest patches applied and do not see
any error messages in /var/adm/messages.

QUESTIONS:

Why is vxmake spawning another vxmake process here?

Why is /usr/lib/vxvm/type/fsgen/vxmake hanging on read?

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Chandra