Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] nbu and vxvm - need advise

2000-10-11 17:51:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] nbu and vxvm - need advise
From: Andrew Steingruebl steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 16:51:31 -0500
Chandra Kalle said:

>3. Make the E4500 recognize the new tape drive.
>   (drvconfig, devlinks, tapes ?) => WILL THIS
>   CAUSE ANY DAMAGE TO MY VXVM CONFIGURATION? <=
>   WHATS THE BEST WAY TO MAKE THE E4500 RECOGNIZE
>   THE NEW TAPE DRIVE WITHOUT DISTURBING VXVM?

man drvconfig:

   drvconfig  [ -bn ]  [ -a alias_name ]  [ -c class_name ]   [
     -i drivername ]  [ -m major_num ]  [ -r rootdir ]

You can specify what devices to have it probe for by major number.

grep '^st ' /etc/name_to_major

to get the right major number for your kernel, etc. This will probe only for
tape drives. Then, run "tapes" and you should be all set. If you've had tape
drives attached before, I'd recommend doing a "rm /dev/rmt/*" first, just to
make sure you're numbering is nice and tidy.

>6. Configure drives. => DO I HAVE TO INSTALL THE
>   SCSI PASS THRU DRIVER (SG DRIVER) ON THE E4500?
>   WILL THAT AFFECT VXVM CONFIG? <=

Nope, it does not need the sg driver. It will use the E250 to control the
robot. Though, on second thought, I don't know when it actually gets control
of the drive, and whether it needs the SG driver to do locate_block commands,
or whether these are done by the robot control host.... though if its not
connected, I guess it can't, and you'll need the SG driver if you want to do
fast block location on tape.

--
Andy Steingruebl              | e-mail: steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com

Unix Systems Admin/Programmer | phone:  (847) 935-4728
Unix/Network Security         | fax:    (847) 935-0142
Abbott Laboratories, PPDR&D   | post:   100 Abbott Park Road, D472 - AP9A