Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] nbu and vxvm - need advise

2000-10-11 16:33:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] nbu and vxvm - need advise
From: Chandra Kalle ckalle AT ns.naren DOT com
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 13:33:52 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

We just installed NetBackup 3.2 Server on an E250, and
configured a storage device (P1000), classes,
clients and schedules.

The backups are going fine for the 8 clients
that we configured.

The P1000's control port is connected to the
E250, and all the 4 tape drives are daisy chained
to it and terminated at the end.

Now, what I want to do is this:

We have an E4500, that needs to be connected to
the Tape Library directly and backups from
this 4500 should go to the Tape Library
directly. To get this functionality, we
purchased a Media Server license for the 4500.

The E4500 is connected to 3 A5100s and
we use Veritas Volume Manager 3.0.2 to
manage the logical volume. We have one
mirrored volume with 3 striped plexes one
on each 5100. This is *THE* most critical server
and I want to be extremely careful in
handling it. Downtime is expensive.

To accomplish this, I came up with the following
procedure:

1. Physically connect the Host SCSI port to the
   E250 (master server), and daisy chain it to
   drive 1 (terminate it at drive 1). This is
   because I want only the robotic control and
   one drive (drive 1) to be available to the
   master server. (It will use drive 1 only
   for all the network client backups).

2. Physically connect my E4500 to drive 0 and daisy
   chain it to drives 2 and 3 and then terminate
   it at drive 3. This is so that I can dedicate
   drive 0 to the 4500 for direct SCSI based
   backups. drives 2 and 3 will be later connected
   to two Network Appliance servers.

3. Make the E4500 recognize the new tape drive.
   (drvconfig, devlinks, tapes ?) => WILL THIS
   CAUSE ANY DAMAGE TO MY VXVM CONFIGURATION? <=
   WHATS THE BEST WAY TO MAKE THE E4500 RECOGNIZE
   THE NEW TAPE DRIVE WITHOUT DISTURBING VXVM?

4. Install Media Manager software on the E4500.

5. Start xdevadm and add a robot (Robotic control
   host will be master server (E250)).

6. Configure drives. => DO I HAVE TO INSTALL THE
   SCSI PASS THRU DRIVER (SG DRIVER) ON THE E4500?
   WILL THAT AFFECT VXVM CONFIG? <=

7. Create a new storage unit, and specify the E4500
   as the NetBackup Host, new robot number, and
   number of drives.

8. Create a new class, and specify that all backups
   from this class should use the new storage
   unit just created.

9. Add the E4500 as a client to the new class, and
   configure.

10. Run a test backup.

Am I missing anything here? I want to get this
right the first time. No trial-n-error or
call support situations..

The reason I ask this question here is to make sure
that I am sure what I am doing is right, and I dont
have absolutely no luxury of testing this out.
The E4500 cannot be down for more than an hour!

Thanks for any advise.

Chandra