Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Parity Errors flooding /var/adm/messages on Solaris 2.6

2000-10-06 11:45:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Parity Errors flooding /var/adm/messages on Solaris 2.6
From: Ray Frederick ray AT west.gecems DOT com
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 09:45:02 -0600
Right you are gang,

> > Oct  5 11:25:30 hostname unix: WARNING: /pci@6,4000/scsi@3 (glm4):
> > Oct  5 11:25:30 hostname unix:  SCSI bus DATA IN phase parity error

Pretty vague error but almost always caused by hardware failure along the scsi
bus. ie. initiator, terminator, cable, bad device.

> > Oct  5 11:25:30 hostname unix:  Target 5 reducing sync. transfer rate
> > Oct  5 11:25:30 hostname unix: WARNING :
> > ID[SUNWpd.glm.sync_wide_backoff.6014]

This is not really a failure but more a function of Solaris that allows a fast
controller to work with slower devices. Remember that your bus will only be
as fast as the slowest device. But in this case it appears to have reduced
the bus speed in an effort to salvage a scsi transaction that failed.

RF