Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Exchange Restore

2000-10-05 08:23:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Exchange Restore
From: fx [François-Xavier Peretmere] fx AT Veritas DOT com
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 14:23:34 +0200

 depends, but not enough. if you can stop the server A during the
test, then you can rename B to A, install Exchange server on the
B server with *the same organisation than the Exchange on
server A*, and then do the restore of the data from A to B.

 don't forget to have the same service pack level on both
server, fot Ms Windows & Ms Exchange Server.

> Does Netbackup try to resolve names with Netbios?

 NetBios has nothing to do with this.

> Do we need to put server B on an isolated network with the backup
> server to restore?

 if you can't stop A, then probably. depends too if your Exchange
is standalone or part of a several sites organisation.

> I thought was that Netbackup would only use standard name
> resolution and that it would be fine to restore on the same network
> as the production Exchange server ( turning off the netbackup service
> on the production Exchange Server just in case..). But we have some
> people here that feel the Netbios traffic ( Browse Masters, etc..)
> will screw things up.

> Server B has no WINS entry.

 not relevant. and i thin you mean no static entry because as
 soon your server is up and running with the SMB services
(workstation & computer browser) started, your server is registered
in the wins database.

> Thoughts?

 there is lots more to say about Exchange restore. you should
look in the Microsoft technet and/or knowledge base for articles
about Exchange alternate backup & restore. the theory is almost
identical, using ntbackup or NetBackup.

 fx

--
     fx AT veritas DOT com       | The ten thousand things.
François-Xavier Peretmere | How long do any persist?