Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup Classes to duplicate and eject

2000-09-14 01:08:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup Classes to duplicate and eject
From: W. Curtis Preston curtis AT colltech DOT com
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 22:08:56 -0700
At 01:35 PM 9/6/00 -0700, Bob Bakh wrote:
>Speaking Product wise.  The vault extension would duplicate a set of classes
>and eject them at a given time, not right after the backup.
>
>You could do this using bpend notify and running bpduplicate and vmchange
>and so forth, but you would need one hell of a bend notify timeout.

Actually, NetBackup appears to fire off bpend and then leave it alone.  The
jobs finish long before the bpend script does.  You'll also notice that
there is no equivalent to a 73 for bpend.

>running bpduplicate on your own is also a viable solution, however it is a
>serial process and could take some time.
>
>BPVault uses all these processes and with some logic makes it a parallel
>process and can run during backup off hours.  (and it comes with MKS
>toolkit) =)

Worth the price, IMHO.
---
W. Curtis Preston, Principal Consultant at Collective Technologies
Email: curtis AT colltech DOT com                (Best way to contact me)
Work : 408 452 5555                       (Leave a message.)
Pager: 800 946 4646, pin#1436065        (If urgent.)

Tap into the Collective Intellect (TM): http://www.colltech.com
Backup & Restore resources:        http://www.backupcentral.com