Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetApp/NDMP to non-NetApp connected tapedrive/ju kebox

2000-08-31 20:09:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetApp/NDMP to non-NetApp connected tapedrive/ju kebox
From: Bob Bakh bbakh AT veritas DOT com
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 17:09:55 -0700
Actually this wrongness is contagious Rob.

You can backup from one NetApp to another via the network.  So one NetApp
needs to be attached to a tape drive and the others can backup through it
using the NDMP protocol, which is redundant sins the P in NDMP is protocol.

But I digress.

Another But is that the tape drive attached to the NetApp can not be used to
back anything else up nor is it easily put into a shared SSO environment.
NetApp only works in a fiber environment out side of it's chassis through a
specific switch.  Which I have played with in a Lab environment and it works
great there, I have not touched it in the real world.  And support comes
from the Library and Switch vendors.

Bob