Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetWare clients

2000-08-29 15:29:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetWare clients
From: RYAN C. ANDERSON ryan_anderson AT udlp DOT com
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 14:29:49 -0500
I have a couple NetWare clients of my Solaris master server using NBU
3.1.1.  My problem is that our mail server takes 9+ hours to back up.
Oftentimes we need to manually stop the backup early in the morning when
there is a lot of disk space being used so that people can at least
access their mail.

My questions:

1)      Can we separate the NetWare volumes like you would Unix filesystems?
For instance, on some of our larger Unix servers, we have a couple
different classes backing it up each backing up a different filesystem.
I would like to do this with this particular NetWare client, even if it
meant backing up half of it one night, and the other half the next night
(then continue alternating).

2)      Is it true that the NetWare client only allows one backup job to run
at a time?

3)      Is there any configuration changes, etc. I can do to make the backup
time decrease?

4)      Do the newer releases of the NetWare client (3.2, 3.4) have any
improvements over the 3.1.1 client?

Regards,

Ryan
Ryan C. Anderson           United Defense L.P.
UNIX Administrator         http://www.udlp.com/
(desk) 763.572.6684        (pager) 612.235.9936
ryan_anderson AT udlp DOT com     Mail stop M313