Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Installation problems with Veritas NetBackup

2000-08-23 17:20:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Installation problems with Veritas NetBackup
From: Jason Ahrens ahrensj AT psi DOT ca
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 17:20:55 -0400 (EDT)
Hello there.

I am relatively new to the list, and new to NetBackup in general. I have
set up various test servers successfully while I was evaluating the
product, and of course as soon as I try to set up a production machine I
run into problems.

I am using Solaris 7 and have successfully compleated the pkgadd
section. While running the install_bp command, the question came up 'do
you want to start the netbackup processes' (paraphrased) I said yes. To
this, I was told:

Starting the NetBackup database manager process (bpdbm).
The NetBackup database manager process (bpdbm) was not started.
Please check the services configuration -- files, YP, NIS, or NIS+.

I cannot seem to get bpdbm to start no matter what I do. This is confusing
me as I am following the same instructions I used for the test servers,
and have attempted more than once so I cannot find what is different or
wrong.

Does anyone know why bpdbm may not be starting? There does not appear to
be any errors in the log files about what is going wrong. There are a few
messages from vmd though:

Aug 23 16:47:43 kestrel vmd[1783]: unable to obtain bound socket, no port
number available for vmd (0)
Aug 23 16:47:43 kestrel vmd[1783]: terminating - daemon cannot obtain socket
(58)

Thanks.

Jason