Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Exchange Server Backup/Restore Procedure to non-production system (i.e. different host name to restore than was backed up).

2000-07-18 09:17:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Exchange Server Backup/Restore Procedure to non-production system (i.e. different host name to restore than was backed up).
From: David A. Chapa david AT datastaff DOT com
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 08:17:12 -0500 (CDT)
You can restore to another machine name, but if you
bring exchange up on that machine, it must be the
production name of the server.  One of those nice
little features (bugs) in MS Exchange.

This is a good white paper on Exchange high
availability (or data availability) from a company
called NSI Software.  While this talks about failover
of the EXC server, its also a very good document to
understand some of how exchange operates  under the
covers.

http://www.nsisw.com/pdfs/dt/Exchange4x.pdf

Happy reading.

David
Quoting "Myers, Lisa" <LMYERS AT PacificLife DOT com>:

> Greetings fellow Veritas fans!
>
> Recently, I have been looking for a procedure to
restore an Exchange Server
> to test our restore process.  I want to restore to a
server that is *not*
> our production server- seems reasonable, hence a
different host name.  This
> seems to cause issues in documentation that I have
found in support of
> this.
> Below I found documentation on the MS web site saying
that you should never
> need to do something like this.  On the Veritas web
site, I performed
> searches in the KnowledgeBase database using keyword
searches like
> 'Exchange', 'Exchange Restore'...but I did not get
anything in return.  I
> also looked at the White Paper section on the Veritas
web site and did not
> see anything in support of a specific procedure.  I
also looked at the
> Veritas Netbackup book caled 'Veritas NetBackup for
Microsoft Exchange
> Server'.  There is a section in there about restores
and Methods- they
> mention 3 ways to do a restore:
>
> 1) Server-Directed Restore(on the Exchange Server
itself)- seems pretty
> straight forward, but I don't want to test to my
production server host
> name;
> 2) Alternate Client Restore (being on the master
server [in our case UNIX]
> and pushing the restore out to an alternate client.
Here they mention that
> 'Exchange directory database contains machine and
security information, it
> can only be restored to the original computer or a
clone of the original
> computer'- i.e. do they mean you can't have a
different host name?????
> Also, they mention 'The Microsoft Exchange
Information Store databases may
> be restored to an alternate Microsoft Exchange
Server'.  This seems like
> you
> can do half, but not the other half to a different
host name- I don't
> understand the usefulness of this then.
> 3) Alternate Folder Restore- again appears to be to
the same host name, but
> I don't want to restore to my production server host
name, even in a
> different folder.
>
> I am at a dead end for looking at places that might
have this information.
> Any additional ideas?  If you have developed this
procedure in house to
> test
> (and have used a different server host name other
than your production
> server to perform your testing...:-)...), I would
really appreciate your
> help.
>
> My background is UNIX, and I am working with NT
people to perform this
> restore...just to set the stage.  I may not have the
background in Exchange
> to really understand if this is technically possible,
i.e. to take a backup
> of an Exchange Server and restore to a different host
name (non-production

----------------------
----------------------
----------------------
--------------

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/exchange/chapt12.asp#i
> Restore Using Third-Party Backup Software such as
ARCserve or BackupExec
> The restore operation is simple. Select the
appropriate Exchange database
> as
> the source, leave the destination to default to the
original location, and
> start the restore process. Generally, you should
leave the backup
> software's
> restore defaults alone: do not select Erase All
Existing Data or Start
> Services After Restore. The restore may take some
time (even assuming a
> maximum restore rate of 20 to 25 GB/hour), after
which the following should