Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media/Image expiration process?

2000-07-11 14:22:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media/Image expiration process?
From: Bob Bakh bbakh AT veritas DOT com
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 11:22:42 -0700
try using bpexpdate -ev A00000 -d 0

that will wipe the tape,

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Steingruebl [mailto:steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com]
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2000 9:45 AM
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

This is a note I sent to Veritas tech support. If anyone here knows the
answer
though, all the better/faster.
***
I'm running NB-3.2 on Solaris-2.7 servers.  I have a backup class with a
user
backup schedule set with a retention level of 1, which corresponded to 2
weeks.  I ran a backup of some files, from a workstation.  The files were
backed up fine.

I ran the backup on 7/6/2000 at 10:06 AM.

I figured out the backup_id from the catalog.

On the master server, I ran a

bpexpdate -backupid BACKUPID -d '07/06/2000 12:00:00'

When I then queried the image catalog using bpimagelist, my backup had an
updated time of expiration, set for the time I'd used in the bpexpdate
command.

If however, I check the media that the backup was written to, I show the
media
as still being assigned, even though the backup image itself has expired
from
the catalog. I can check the media contents with the GUI, or by running

bpmedialist -mcontents -ev A0046A

It returns:

File number 1
  Backup id = clio.pprd.abbott.com_0962833049
  Creation date = 07/05/00 16:37:
  Expiration date = 07/19/00 16:37:
  Retention level = 1
  Copy number = 1
  Fragment number = 1
  Fragment size (in bytes) = 32768
  Data start byte offset = 3072
  Block size (in bytes) = 262144

File number 2
  Backup id = clio.pprd.abbott.com_0962895966
  Creation date = 07/06/00 10:06:
  Expiration date = 07/20/00 10:06:
  Retention level = 1
  Copy number = 1
  Fragment number = 1
  Fragment size (in bytes) = 32768
  Data start byte offset = 37888
  Block size (in bytes) = 262144

Both of these images are gone from my catalog however.

Can you explain why this media is still allocated/assigned, even though the
images on the media have expired?  What routine process runs to purge/expire

old media?

Thanks.

--
Andy Steingruebl              | e-mail: steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com

Unix Systems Admin/Programmer | phone:  (847) 935-4728
Unix/Network Security         | fax:    (847) 935-0142
Abbott Laboratories, PPDR&D   | post:   100 Abbott Park Road, D472 - AP9A