Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DLT7000 on FC/AL

2000-06-09 10:29:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DLT7000 on FC/AL
From: Andrew Steingruebl steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 09:29:56 -0500
"Michael Gaytan" said:

>Fibre channel connectivity has essentially moved the bottle neck from
>the external I/O Bus to the internal PCI bus. (32-bit,33MHz @ 128MB/sec;
>64-bit,33MHz @ 266MB/sec; and 64-bit,66MHz @ 530MB/sec.) By running
>multiple FC HBA's on PCI Bus, (E450 supports up to 8) you could
>potentially overwhelm the internal PCI buses.

Given everything you've said below, and here, any experience with Ultra-2's an
SBUS HBA's in the same sort of configuration?  I know we're now going to get
the same throughput on an SBUS HBA as on the PCI, but I'm wondering what
you've seen as the ratio.  I'd like to avoid having to purchase 220's to
replace my backup servers, when the JNI SBUS HBA I have seems to be working ok
for the moment.

--
Andy Steingruebl              | e-mail: steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com

Unix Systems Admin/Programmer | phone:  (847) 935-4728
Unix/Network Security         | fax:    (847) 935-0142
Abbott Laboratories, PPDR&D   | post:   100 Abbott Park Road, D472 - AP9A