Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiple Data Streams - Death of A Network!

2000-05-17 15:34:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiple Data Streams - Death of A Network!
From: Cote, Barbara L. Barbara_L_Cote AT tvratings DOT com
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 15:34:19 -0400
HELP!   If anyone has experienced the following or similar network problem
while using Multiple Data Streams, we are anxious to hear of you experience
and if you have found a solution!

We have recently started to test using multiple data streams and so far it
has been a network nightmare.  We tested using one class which had one
client and 15 filesystems defined in the file list totaling approximately
203 GB of data.  We did not use the NEW_STREAM directive but let each path
in the file list become a separate stream which created 15 separate jobs.
The problem is that when these 15 backups are started, the network is
adversely affected until it is basically brought to its knees.  Network
pings drop approximately 50% of packets.  And it appears the network gets
progressively worse the longer the backups run.  After approximately 20
minutes, we must kill all 15 backups to recover the network.  These are the
only backups running at the time so the amount of data should not be an
issue as we have pushed much more data than this at a given time.  Our
NetBackup master server is running with a gigabit ethernet.  The client is
100 baseT full duplex.

Thanks for any insight to this problem.

Barb Cote'
UNIX System Administrator