Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] HSM and NetApp?

2000-05-09 13:32:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] HSM and NetApp?
From: Andrew Steingruebl steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 12:32:35 -0500
Robert Bakh said:

>NetBackup Supports NetApp Native dump backup using NDMP.  We've been doing
>this for almost 2 years now.  There are issues I agree, but if we stay with
>supported and tested platforms it works just fine.

I agree that it sometimes works.  What I'm frustrated with is the number of
messages I see on this list and elsewhere where an upgrade to Data Ontap to
fix a bug there, breaks NDMP backups from NetBackup.  It seems to me that I
shouldn't have to make those trade-offs, and typically don't have to on my
other platforms, with the possible exception of NT where the software has
proven not-quite-perfect to say the least.

I agree that a DMAPI filesystem would be nice. Not sure I see it happening,
but what the heck.

--
Andy Steingruebl              | e-mail: steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com

Unix Systems Admin/Programmer | phone:  (847) 935-4728
Unix/Network Security         | fax:    (847) 935-0142
Abbott Laboratories, PPDR&D   | post:   100 Abbott Park Road, D472 - AP9A