Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Verifying backups to file system

2000-04-28 07:34:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Verifying backups to file system
From: David A. Chapa david AT datastaff DOT com
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 06:34:37 -0500 (CDT)
There is no way of performing the type of verification
you are looking for.  The primary reason is that the
filesystems are volitile and change often.

The BCV example sounds like an issue with
Timefinder/SRDF and not NetBackup perse.

Quoting "Dean, James" <jimmy.dean AT usi DOT net>:

> This might be a dumb question, but is there an
automated way of verifying
> the contents of a backup to the contents of the file
system that was just
> backed up or a replication of that file system.
>
> Specifically,  if you are backing up a BCV split from
an EMC array and the
> BCV for some reason is not synchronized with the
original file system.  Is
> there a way to verify the backup to the original file
system.  I do know
> that you can verify the images against the tape, but
this doesn't verify
> the
> file system contents.
>
> I know the simple answer is to TEST TEST TEST, but I
am looking for an
> automated way of either doing a test, or some kind of
verification script.