Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Storage Units

2000-03-16 08:45:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Storage Units
From: Skip Farmer cfarmer AT veritas DOT com
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 08:45:53 -0500
When using multiple media server there is a centralized catalog for the
media on the Master (vsnDB). The vsnDB tracks all tapes that are available.
There is also a mediaDB on each media server. The mediaDB tracks what tapes
that system is currently using.

In your case it b/c the systems are on the same library I can understand the
frustration. But in a distributed environment that has many libraries it is
extremely useful. Are you using a scratch pool? This will allow the system
to grab any tape from the free tape pool and assign it. If that tape is
assigned to a media server, chances are that it is going to need that tape
again.

In the event of a restore it will first attempt to go through the original
media server. However you can have it go through any media server connected
to the same library. In other words they will be able to access a tape
originally used by another media server.

The media server can be migrated from one to another. With a few steps you
can take backups done by one system and move them to another system if you
need to.

Skip