Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Storage Units

2000-03-15 15:39:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Storage Units
From: George Roper backup_user AT hotmail DOT com
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 20:39:58 GMT
Re: Connecton of two hosts to a single robot

I have an ATL P1000 with 4xDLT7000 tape drives installed. I have two UNIX
hosts, each connected to two drives. I have created two Storage Units (SU),
each containing two drives, associated with each system. I believe this is
the usual way of creating a 'split robot' configuration.

I have observed that a tape, allocated to and written by one SU is not
available to the other, despite the tape being physically accessable
to the other SU.

This has the effect of creating a pool within a pool eg. PoolX has tapes
that are accessable to both SUs, if SU_A requires a tape it cannot access
and use any tape that has been previously used by SU_B (unless the volume
has expired) even if it is a tape from the required pool with space
available on it.

This behaviour has serious implications to my volume allocation strategy (I
keep getting error 96 - no media available, despite there being plenty of
tapes for the requested pool available within the robot)

My questions:

  o Is this behaviour correct?
  o Is there a way of modifying it so that one SU can gain access to
    the other's volumes?

Can any-one help?

George