Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Flashbackup status code 12

2000-03-12 20:28:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Flashbackup status code 12
From: Todd Stansell todd AT gnac DOT com
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 17:28:33 -0800
If you've ever used VxFS's filesystem snapshot capabilities, it's very
much like that.  You define a slice (with no filesystem needed) as your
"cache" device.  This is where all of the "changes" to the filesystem get
stored while the snapshot is active.  This would be /dev/rdsk/c0t0d1s0,
in your case.  It shouldn't matter if /dev/rdsk/c0t0d2s2 is mounted or
not, or if it is ufs or vxfs.  If it's not mounted, however, then you're
sure that your cache device won't fill up.

One thing I would look for is why you are getting the "open" failure of
the device.  If you run 'bperror -problems -client <client>' you should
be able to see which process responded with the error 12.  Then, make
sure /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/<procname> is created on the client...and
put VERBOSE = 9 in your bp.conf file on the client.  This should give
you enough logging to tell you why the file couldn't be opened.

I've seen errors in the past where the "cache" device you specify
fills up with changes, and it disables all backups using that device.
But those are normally reported as error 13's.  It looks like you aren't
even getting that far.

One other thing (which I wouldn't think would matter) is to make sure
your cache definition uses all caps: CACHE=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d1s0.  I don't
know if it's case sensitive or not, but it's an idea.

Todd