Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Single mailbox restores for Exchange

2000-03-06 01:42:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Single mailbox restores for Exchange
From: Robert Bakh bbakh AT veritas DOT com
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 22:42:00 -0800
This question is two fold in my mind.

One is this something that admins need to do and is easy with the
recommended Microsoft process?

Two are the "Hacks" or more elegant interfaces to make this more automated
efficient?

The answer to Number one is yes admins need to do this task, so long as
there are users there will be deleted e-mail boxes, however this is a pain
in the where ever you least like to have a pain, however Exchange admins
know and have accepted the pain in hopes of a brighter future of a more
intelligent Exchange database structure that will allow for simple mailbox
restores, and their patients is to be rewarded very shortly by our friends
at Microsoft.

The answer to Number two is, there are some great interfaces that exploit
undocumented APIs and some techie magic and boom there is the mailbox,
however the caveats to this magic is admin over head, yes you will have to
be Santa Clause with your list of naughty and nice users, and selecting
which single mailboxes in an information store you want to back up, and the
performance of said backup will be degraded as compared to a full backup.

At least this is what I've been told.  NBU at this time only supports the
Exchange supported single mailbox restore, the alternate server one.  Stay
tuned for future developments from NBU developers, no pun intended.  And as
Exchanges it's database structure, the single mailbox restore will become
quicker and more efficient in management and in backup.

Hope this helps,

Bob