Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup and tripwire

2000-03-02 13:35:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup and tripwire
From: W. Curtis Preston curtis AT colltech DOT com
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 10:35:51 -0800
Yes, when NetBackup accesses the file, it changes atime, since it accesses
it the same as you and I do.  It then resets atime to the value it was
before it touched it.  However, that changes ctime, since it's seen as an
attribute change.  Since this is something that hackers do to cover their
tracks, tripwire would indeed go crazy.

One question is, "For all UNIXs, does changing the CONTENTS of the file
result in its ctime being changed?"  If the answer's no, then you will be
missing files on your incremental backups.