Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] available_media fix + TIR

2000-02-25 02:31:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] available_media fix + TIR
From: W. Curtis Preston curtis AT colltech DOT com
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 23:31:03 -0800
Yup, if you want your restores to go in parallel like your backups, you
have to do your restores on the command line.  Here's what I've done to
come to this conclusion:

1. I back up 200 raw devices, with:
         'allow multiple data streams' turned on
         max jobs per client set to 40
         max jobs per class set to 40
         10 tape devices with mpx set to 4 jobs per drive
         I specify the raw devices in ONE file list in ONE class, i.e.:
         /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class/CLASSNAME/includes
2. When backups kick off:
         200+ go in the queue
         40 jobs go active
         10 tapes get mounted
         4 jobs go to each drive simultaneously
         Every tape drive is streaming about 9.5-10 MB/s
         600 GB gets backed up in about 2.5 hours
3. When doing a restore from the command line:
         bprestore -r -f /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class/CLASSNAME/includes
         10 tapes get mounted
         40 tar processes show up
         40 raw devices are being restored simultaneously
         Every tape drive is streaming about 9.5-10 MB/s
         600 GB gets restored in about 2.5 hours
4. When doing the SAME restore from the GUI
         I select 'restore raw partitions'
         I select 200+ raw partitions in the GUI
         I select 'restore selected files'
         NetBackup restores the files ONE AT A TIME

Although I've provided the above detail for your info, the above is also
true when backing up multiple file systems from the same client:
1. Specify ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES
2. Specify 'allow multiple data streams'
3. Make a file with /, /usr, /var, etc... in it (e.g. /tmp/includes)
4. bprestore -f /tmp/includes restores multiple file systems at the same time
5. selecting the same file systems in the GUI restores them one at a time