Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Vaulting the DB Backup

2000-02-23 18:37:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Vaulting the DB Backup
From: Malcor, Daniel DMalcor AT PacificLife DOT com
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 15:37:26 -0800
This seems like something that ought to be somewhat common.

We would like to be sending a copy of the Veritas Database offsite on a
daily basis. Clearly we could do this in a manual process by changing the
config on a daily basis, but we are looking for automation (after all we
have a HUGE L11000 Tape Library).

I see that there is a script "/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/dbbackup_notify" that
is called with the tape ID for the last DB backup. This would seem like the
place some cleverness, so I'm just looking to see if anyone has done this
before.

The steps seem to me to be:

Edit /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/dbbackup_notify so that it creates and script
that will be run when you want to vault (if it were to vault every time it
would be way to often).

The vault script would:

= Mount the last DB Backup tape and a blank tape (does this come from the
scratch pool?)
= Then using dd to tar(?) make a copy
  (I don't think we want to use bpduplicate since this is a DB tape).
= Then eject the copy and return the original to the library

Simple, no?